Thursday, February 21, 2008

Waste Water

English caravans are so light because they have no on-board water tanks. Most caravans have tanks that you fill and empty for drinking water and grey water. With an English caravan like ours, you just use a container that you put next to the caravan. This has its advantages and disadvantages. It works pretty well, especially if you’re close to a tap. We have a 40-liter drinking water container that we drop a submersible pump into, and a grey water bucket that we empty when it’s full. We have a hose that connects to a tap on one end and a valve in the water container that automatically fills up when we use water. It’s like a toilet tank valve. If we’re not close to a tap, we can roll the cylindrical water tank, which has a handle that makes it easy to pull.

There are disadvantages to this external water system, especially if you have a naughty one-year-old. Beck finds things that he can put in the water tank while we’re not looking. I found several pieces of wood in the container today. They were sandy pieces of driftwood. Fortunately the hole isn’t big enough to fit something like our shoes in, and he’s too small to pee in it.

Here’s Beck at work…


The grey water bucket, which is also outside the caravan, is a perfect place to put something like shoes in though. Beck is fascinated with this greasy, soapy, dirty water. He loves to put my shoes in it. I caught him drinking it the other day. He seemed to think it was really tasty. I think Amy was sending dishwater down the drain then.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah
Kids have no concept of disgusting-Sebbie has taken to licking everything- the gate at school, shop windows, handrails at shopping malls...how he hasn't contracted some horrific disease, I really don't know!!
Well, I hope Beck continues to thrive so well on his waste water diet-- maybe he's onto the next health fad!
love lara

Anonymous said...

Hi Webers! Kari Mickey showed me your blog and I wanted to tell you how happy I am for you that you are experiencing all of this with your kids. I will continue to check back and visit you all from time to time. I too have a blog...not as exciting as news from New Zealand, but if you get the chance this is news from Los Angeles. www.maguireandrewsclan.blogspot.com.

Love to you all,

Amy Maguire

Unknown said...

Hola Webers!

Jenny and i are here in Tabernash at my folks for the big Oscar weekend. Haven't looked at your blog since last here at new years and I'm glad to see things are still going well! I just caught up on the last two months. My folks just got back from two weeks on the South Island, and although their pics aren't as nice as yours, their stories of the great people and beauty echo yours.

Jen and I have been very busy and enjoying this cold winter. I'm starting a new home energy solutions business and Jen is starting into her own private practice - needless to say we are poor but enjoying our freedom.

Hope you all find your home and keep a door open for us!

Peace

Oh - still haven't sold the Mini. I've got one gal who is interested, but if it doesn't buy, I'm thinking of lowering the price. Let me know what you think. bill@GB3energy.com

The Webers said...

Lara, it sounds like Beck could learn a few tricks from Sebbie.
Amy I will check your blog soon. Great to hear from you.
Bill, we were wondering if we would run into your folks. We were looking out for them. Good luck with the new ventures.
Thanks,
O